Cannon Hill Community Kindergarten - History
Our Kindergarten is located in the quiet, family oriented suburb of Cannon Hill, in the South East of Brisbane.
In close proximity are the historic Cannon Hill State School and the St. Oliver Plunkett Catholic School, both of which share a close working relationship with our Kindergarten.
Cannon Hill is about 5 kms from central Brisbane. The suburb was named in the early 1800s by Lands Department surveyors who saw fallen trees that looked like guns or cannons. In 1867 the Weedon family built a residence opposite the present Cannon Hill State School and named it Cannon Hill House.
Up until the 1960s, the village centre was based around the intersection of Wynnum and Barrack Roads. There were about eight shops, a post office, the School of Arts, the Catholic school and Catholic and Presbyterian churches.
The Cannon Hill Kindergarten and Community Pre-School Association was established in 1962.
The goal was providing preschool education for children aged three to five years.
In 1963, the National Archives established its Queensland headquarters in Cannon Hill and that same year saw the official opening of Cannon Hill Kindergarten and Community Pre-School. Since then the Cannon Hill Community Kindergarten has provided a not-for-profit, community based facility for local children.
- Established in 1962
- Officially opened in 1963
- Located in Cannon Hill, a quiet, safe & family friendly suburb
Sources: SLQ, ABC, Courier Mail